Crown Lands Division will partner Newcastle City Council through its Livesites organisation to provide regular open days at Nobbys commencing in September 2011 and to make the site available for other events and activities including exhibitions and weddings.
An agreement has also been struck with the operator of Newcastle’s Famous Tram to include Nobbys on the Tram’s week-day tours of Newcastle.
These arrangements form Stage 1 of a Community Access Strategy prepared by Crown Lands Division.
The two stage access strategy will address site safety issues as well as protecting important port operational equipment and heritage assets from damage or vandalism.
Stage 2 of the strategy will see the establishment a permanent site security presence at Nobbys which would allow the site to be opened to the public on a fulltime basis. This could take the form of an onsite restaurant and/or kiosk and which would also allow visitors to enjoy a snack or refreshment whilst taking in the breathtaking city and harbour views.
A Plan of Management will be prepared for the site which with the objective of establishing Nobbys as a pre-eminent recreational and tourism destination whilst ensuring that future site use and development is compatible with the site’s historic and cultural setting.
Importantly, the Plan of Management process will allow the Newcastle community to have their say on the type of facilities that should be provided at Nobbys for community use.
Planning To Visit Nobbys?
Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind prior to your visit.
- There is no car access along the Macquarie Pier, you may walk or bicycle only.
- From the Nobby's Beach carpark there is a 550m (10 minutes approximately) walk to the gate.
- From the gate there is a 220m up-hill walk to the Signal Master's Cottage (5 minutes approximately).
- The site is by nature isolated and exposed, it is likely to be breezy depending on the time of day you visit.
- It is therefore advised you wear comfortable shoes for the walk and bring a jacket if it gets cold.
For Nobbys venue hire (Weddings, Corporate events, etc) contact Newcastle L!vesites on (02) 4925 3969.
For weekday tours, contact Newcastle's Famous Tram on 0418 307 166.