Bookmark this page Print page Resize down Resize up

Frequently asked questions

Walkers along the Six Foot Track

Do I need to book for the walk or a campsite?

Bookings are not required for individuals or small family groups. All organised larger groups, including schools, scouts, guides, defence forces, walking clubs etc, must register before starting the walk. 

Where can I purchase the Six Foot Track map/brochure?

  • A detailed map kit containing detailed track notes, points of interest, history, flora and fauna as well as safety tips for theSix Foot Track is available for $10 (plus $5 postage and handling for up to 2 of these items) from the DPI Book Shop at Orange, call toll-free 1800 028 374 or email To order the map kit, please use the order form (PDF 139 kb). Discounts are provided on Crown Lands trail map kits to wholesale and retail outlets. Please contact the DPI Bookshop for detail on the prices of map kits, postage & handling.
  • Blue Mountains City Council (Visitor Information Centres) at Glenbrook & Katoomba
  • OEH, Heritage Centre, Govetts Leap Rd, Blackheath, NSW

Can I ride my mountain bike (MTB) on the Track?

Mountain bikes are allowed between Jenolan Caves Road and the Coxs River Camp Ground, no restrictions and between the Coxs River Camp Ground and the Megalong Valley Road on a trial basis only.

Mountain Bikes are not allowed from Katoomba (start) to Megalong Valley Road, from Jenolan Caves Road to the Jenolan Caves or on the access track that links the Coxs River Camp Ground to the Swing Bridge on the western side of the Coxs River.

Please do not take your mountain bike on to the Swing Bridge. See the Six Foot Track map to identify the areas available for MTB use.

What facilities are provided at the campsites?

Basic facilities provided at the Coxs River and Black Range Camp Grounds include composting toilet, rain water tank, and a small open shelter. Alum Creek Camp Ground has no facilities.

Is there a guarantee of water in the Coxs River and Black Range Camp Ground water tanks?

No. Theses tanks are fed by rain water only and in times of low rainfall and high usage, may be empty.

Can I use the water from the rivers and streams near the walk?

All water (including tank water) should be treated to minimise the risk of ill health. It is recommended that all walkers take sufficient water for their needs.

Can I light a camp fire?

The Black Range Camp Ground has a no camp fire at any time rule, due to its location within a State Forest. Camp fires in general are not approved of anywhere on the Six Foot Track. It is requested that all walkers carry and use a portable fuel stove only.

What happens when a Total Fire Ban is put in place?

The track may be closed at this time. It is recommended that walkers do not undertake the walk during this period.

What is the grading of the track?

Classified as Hard (4), long sections of steps with frequent obstacles, suitable for people who walk regularly with a backpack and are used to camping. Walkers with heart or breathing difficulties should not attempt this track.

Is the track difficult to navigate?

It is well signposted with directional and distance markers. All walkers should use the Six Foot Track map/brochure which gives a comprehensive breakdown of average walking times, distances, altitude and other important information.

Is mobile phone reception available on the track?

Phone reception is limited to those sections of the track which pass over elevated positions, most of the time reception is not available.  The Six Foot Track Heritage Trust supports the Think before you Trek initiative by the NSW Police and the NPWS.  It encourages bushwalkers to TREK: 
T - Take adequate supplies of food, water, navigation and first aid equipment.
R - Register your planned route and tell friends and family when you expect to return.
E - Emergency beacons (PLB's) are available free of charge from the NSW Police Force and NPWS.
K - Keep to your planned route and follow the map and walking trails.

As part of this programme it can provide bushwalkers and adventurers in the Blue Mountains with a free loaned Personal Locator Beacon (PLB). These PLBs are available from Springwood and Katoomba Police Stations and Blackheath NPWS office. Click here to read more.

Is there public transport back to Katoomba from the Jenolan Caves?

No. Although there are commercial tour operators based at Katoomba that may provide this service at a cost. Bookings are essential.

Who manages the track?

The track is managed by Crown Lands.


State Recreational Trails Coordinator
PO Box 2185

T: 1300 886 235 


back to top