Coffs Harbour, the only deepwater, all-weather port entrance between Port Stephens and Brisbane, is located about 440 kilometres north of Sydney.
Learn about projects to renew infrastructure:
There are many complex issues affecting the maintenance and development opportunity of the Coffs Harbour port. View the technical papers for more information.
A hydrographic survey of Coffs Harbour was completed for the department on 10 April 2013. The survey shows the depth of the harbour bed relative to Coffs Harbour Port Datum. Coffs Harbour Port Datum is approximately equivalent to Indian Spring Low Water (ISLW).The department accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the survey and the information and depths shown on the survey should be used with caution as depths within the harbour are subject to constant change. All skippers should confirm conditions at Coffs Harbour with Roads and Maritime Services prior to entering and leaving Coffs Harbour.
Contact: Long term berths, tenures and development opportunities. Email email@example.com or T: 02 4920 5056
Coffs Harbour International Marina - T: 02 6559 9219
Coffs Harbour Fisherman's Cooperative T: 02 6652 2811
Roads and Maritimes Services (Coffs Harbour) - T: 02 6691 9555
Marine Rescue NSW (Coffs Harbour) - T: 02 6652 3155
|Commercial fishing - unloading & berthing||Yes|
|Recreational & visitors berthing||Yes|
|Slipway & boat maintenance||Yes|
|Vessel sewage pumpout||Yes|
|Fuel - diesel||Yes|
|Waste oil collection & storage||Yes|
|Water & electricity||Yes|
|Boat launching ramp & car park||Nearby|
|Fresh fish outlet||Yes|
|Retail food & beverage||Yes|
When first settled in the late 1870’s the inshore islands (South Coffs Island and Muttonbird Island) provided shelter to ships in a southerly gale.
With completion of the Coffs Harbour Jetty in 1892 an export timber trade and an early fishing industry were established.
Work started on the formation of the harbour in 1912 by closing the gap between South Coffs Island and the mainland. The 1,000 metre long northern breakwall was constructed between 1914 and 1927. The construction of the eastern breakwall, extending 400 metres seawards from South Coffs Island was carried out between 1919 and 1946.
In 1974 construction of the inner boat harbour, located in the north-west corner of the harbour, was completed.
By the early 1980’s, facilities within the inner harbour included a floating marina, slipway and boat maintenance area, the Coffs Harbour Fishermen’s Co-operative, unloading wharves and moorings for the commercial fishing fleet.
Other more recent features include restaurant, cafés and takeaway food, maritime and fishing retail outlets and visitor parking. Fresh local seafood is available from the fishermen’s cooperative. The harbour has linkages to the nearby foreshore, parks, Jetty Beach and the Mutton Bird Island Nature Reserve.